• Ferrari

Mattiacci 'categorically' denies Newey approach

ESPN Staff
May 23, 2014 « Rosberg signs two-year contract extension | 'Anything possible' on Monaco debut - Kvyat »
© Sutton Images
Enlarge

Marco Mattiacci insists he made no approach for Red Bull's chief technical officer Adrian Newey and says he is "not aware" of an offer being made by Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo.

On the eve the Monaco Grand Prix Newey said he remains "committed to Red Bull for the foreseeable future" after reports suggested Ferrari were prepared to pay up to £20 million-a-year to bring him to Maranello. Newey is the man credited with helping Red Bull's meteoric rise since joining the team ahead of the 2006 season, making him seem a perfect fit for a team without a race win in over a year.

But Mattiacci says no deal was made from his side and that his main focus is on the resources currently available to Ferrari.

"Categorically on my side I did not make any offer to Adrian Newey," Mattiacci told Sky Sports F1. "This is what I'm aware about, there's not been an offer on our side. What I know is that I've been working heavily for the last month. As I said last month I think it is important not to go shopping because we are a fantastic team, and that is what my focus has been on."

When asked whether Montezemolo had made an offer, Mattiacci said: "I am not aware about that. I don't comment on what others have said."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close