• Tyre news

Pirelli certain it will remain in F1 until 2018

ESPN Staff
October 4, 2013 « Grosjean trusts Lotus long wheel base making a difference | Vettel primed for 'tight battle' with Mercedes »
Pirelli says it will not leave the sport for the next five years © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Pirelli is confident it will remain in Formula One for the next five years, despite lacking a finalised contract with the FIA.

Last week the FIA announced Pirelli will continue in the sport beyond 2013, but did not specify for how long. A contract has not yet been signed between the governing body and Pirelli, but motorsport director Paul Hembery insists his company will remain in the sport until 2018.

"Five years," he said when asked about the length of Pirelli's new deal. "The only reason why some of the comments are a bit vague is because it's fallen in between the two agreements between the FIA and FOM. The role has changed slightly within that, we are in a transition phase if you like."

He said a lack of contract was not a concern and that it was not until testing kicked off in 2011 - Pirelli's first year of competition - that its first definitive contract in place.

"Bear in mind that when we came into the sport it wasn't signed until February of the year we were competing," Hembery added. "But it was in the first year, unfortunately when you have lots of different groups involved and lots of different lawyers then there are lots of details. The principles are all okay."

Close