Football

/ News

  • Premier League

QPR make late Remy bid to hijack Newcastle deal

ESPN staff
January 14, 2013 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »

Marseille striker Loic Remy will be left to choose between a move to either Newcastle United or Queens Park Rangers, or another unnamed club, who have all had bids accepted.

It is understood that both Premier League sides have seen their bids of around £8.6 million accepted, with QPR stealing into negotiations as it looked like Remy would be heading to Newcastle to undergo a medical.

Marseille sporting director Jose Angio confirmed QPR's interest and said the decision now rests with the player, with the London side believed to be able to offer the Frenchman far more in wages than the Magpies.

"The coach of QPR has a good reputation," Angio told RTL radio. "Remy will talk with them as he discusses with two other clubs. For Remy there is not just Newcastle, we also have an agreement with QPR and one other club. It is up to Remy to decide. I don't think Remy has shut the door on QPR as is being said everywhere."

Manager Harry Redknapp had attempted to sign Remy earlier in the window, and was seen in the crowd when Marseille took on Guingamp in the French Cup. However reports also claimed Remy had spurned the opportunity to meet with Redknapp after the game, preferring a move to Tyneside.

The news follows earlier comments from Hatem Ben Arfa and Mathieu Debuchy, welcoming their potential new teammate to Newcastle.

Speaking on beIN sport Ben Arfa said: "He's made the right choice. When he's confident he's a great forward. He'll enjoy playing in England."

Meanwhile full-back Debuchy confirmed that Yohan Cabaye had spoken with Remy on Sunday evening about a possible move to the north east.

"I'm still living with Yo[han] [Cabaye] and Remy telephoned last night," he told RMC Sport. "Remy asked Cabaye for news of the club and wanted to know how things work and how things are going at Newcastle."

Marseille's on-loan midfielder Joey Barton, who came from QPR, tweeted of the change in direction for the transfer on Monday night. "Just heard from a magician that Loic Remy has signed for QPR. Not sure what happened at Newcastle probably Llambas again!" he wrote. "Gift of the gab from Harry Redknapp perhaps? Thought it was done and dusted to Newcastle. Something must [have] gone amiss. Great news for QPR"

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close