Froch desperate for shot at Ward revenge
Carl Froch has admitted he desperately wants to exact revenge on Andre Ward before he calls time on his career.
Froch, the IBF super-middleweight champion, was utterly outclassed by Ward when the two met to contest the final of the Super Six tournament in December 2011 - as the American unified the Brit's WBC crown with his WBA strap in a comprehensive points triumph.
It remains one of just two defeats on Froch's CV, and the Nottingham native is desperate to avenge that loss before he retires from the ring.
"Once I beat Ward it would secure my legacy," Froch said, according to the Sun. "I could put my slippers on and retire. It is unfinished business.
"I've come so far in my career and done so much but I'll always look back on that fight as one in which I under-performed. I need to set the record straight."
Froch faces Yusuf Mack in Nottingham on November 17, with a rematch against Lucien Bute - who he defeated to claim the IBF title in his last outing - also on the horizon.
A bout against Ward could then follow - with a British venue a possibility, as the American does not have a significant following outside his native California. Froch's promoter, Eddie Hearn, is working on the rematch and said: "It could happen in Carl's hometown, Nottingham."
The 35-year-old has also recently spoken about the strong possibility of a rematch with the only other man to meet him, Dane Mikkel Kessler - but Ward is the man he really wants.
"The Kessler fight could have gone either way," Froch added. "The Ward fight is the one I would love. He is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world and I want him. The real Carl will turn up and it could happen this time next year. I know I can beat him."