• England Football

Hodgson hopes Terry is cleared by FA

ESPN staff
August 15, 2012 « Djokovic: Murray deserves 'big-four' tag | Chartbeat test »

England boss Roy Hodgson says he hopes the Football Association clears John Terry of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand so the defender is available to play for the Three Lions.

Terry was found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence by Westminster Magistrates Court last month after an incident in October 2011. The FA has since announced the Chelsea skipper has a case to answer and therefore faces a lengthy ban.

Reports suggest the FA hearing will take place next month, which would put Terry in doubt for England's first four World Cup qualifiers. Hodgson, who expressed his reluctance to discuss the matter ahead of Wednesday's friendly against Italy, has declared an intention to select Terry unless he receives a significant suspension.

"I'm not prepared to discuss John," said Hodgson. "It's a matter which is really, as far as I am concerned, working for the FA, sub judice. Everything I say can be misinterpreted. As far as I am concerned he has a case to answer with the FA and I'll wait and see what happens."

But when pressed on the matter, he added: "I'm hoping, and I make no secret of that, the case will take its course, that John, hopefully, will be freed as he was freed in a court of law, and will carry on playing for England. That's my hope. What will happen, I have no idea. As a member of the FA, it's a sub judice situation and I'm not prepared to say any more.

"I thought John did well in the Euros and I'd like to keep using him, but this is a case which is way out of my hands. John understands that. All I can do like many of his supporters, I suppose, is just hope he gets freed and can continue to play."

Terry has been omitted by Hodgson for the international friendly against Italy in Berne ahead of the upcoming Premier League campaign.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close