Sale Sharks sign Italian prop
March 19, 2014
Alberto de Marchi charges forward against France © Getty Images
Sale Sharks have announced they have signed Italy prop Alberto de Marchi from Treviso.
The club said they had been in talks with de Marchi, 25, since early in the New Year
"Alberto's a very good player and we are absolutely delighted to have signed him," Sale director of rugby Steve Diamond said. "He's a good age and he's also versatile in that he can play both sides of the scrum at tight head and loose head, though we see him as a tight head in the main.
"And I think Alberto will fit in very well with our other props Vadim Cobilas, Ross Harrison and Fridge [Eifion Lewis-Roberts]. Alberto's a good scrummager, he is very mobile around the pitch, he's also a good defender and we're very happy to have him on board.
"Alberto has just had a very good Six Nations with Italy and I've no doubt he'll prove to be a really big asset for us over the next few years.
"A lot of work and due diligence has gone into signing him. We've watched him both with Italy and before in his club games with Treviso. Toulon tried to sign him but fortunately, we've been able to bring him here."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed he replaced striker Mario Balotelli at half-time in the Champions League clash against Real Madrid for tactical reasons
Caterham's current owners have threatened to withdraw their management and take legal action against previous owner Tony Fernandes after claiming the shares it purchased in July have not been transferred
Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino has rejected claims of a rift with Jan Vertonghen, insisting the Belgium defender remains happy at White Hart Lane
Scott Quigg will defend his WBA World super-bantamweight title against Hidenori Otake on the undercard of the blockbuster Nathan Cleverly-Tony Bellew rematch in Liverpool next month
Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt has angrily denied influencing provincial selection, rubbishing suggestions he has "blocked" Darren Cave's path back to the national squad