Tuilagi dismisses cross-code switch rumours
February 26, 2014
Manu Tuilagi is currently out injured © Getty Images
Manu Tuilagi has laughed off suggestions he is ready to swap union for league.
Reports on Tuesday suggested Salford had lined up Tuilagi for a sensational cross-code switch. Their owner, Marwan Koukash, had previously suggested he had his eyes on a number of top union players.
But it seems Tuilagi will not be making the switch any time soon. The Manchester Evening News claims Tuilagi told a "North West RU source" that the reports were "utter rubbish".
And Tigers chief Simon Cohen also poured cold water on the rumours, telling the Leicester Mercury: "Manu is under contract and unless the man is Bill Gates, he couldn't afford the transfer fee. I don't know whether he is interested in Manu Tuilagi or not but we have absolutely no interest in selling him."
Koukash spoke out last week about his frustration at seeing league stars, such as Sam Burgess, leaving the 13-man code for union and he spoke out about his wish to reverse the tide.
"I will buy players from rugby union and I mean the very top players," Koukash said. "We already have our eyes on a few and if this is what we have to do, we will do it. We are already on the lookout at players who have played for the British Lions. If we want them, we will get them. I will show rugby union what I can do."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Watching Anderson Silva's recent workout inside the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, you would never have known this was the man who shattered his left leg during a cage fight 13 months ago
Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde has brushed off James Haskell's comments that Warren Gatland's team are training too hard ahead of the two teams' meeting in the Six Nations opener next Friday.
Fiorentina winger Juan Cuadrado has sent a message to the club's fans as he prepares to complete his move to Chelsea
Sam Burgess suffered a forgettable first appearance in an England shirt but was defended by Saxons coach Jon Callard, who was pleased with his contribution.
UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has withdrawn from a scheduled title bout against Vitor Belfort on February 28 in Los Angeles due to a rib injury