• Darts

Hankey takes break after mini-stroke

ESPN staff
November 19, 2012 « Kent 'heard nothing' of Sussex approach | Chartbeat test »
Ted Hankey will be away from the oche for some time © PA Photos
Enlarge

Ted Hankey will take an extended break from darts following confirmation he suffered a mini-stroke at the Grand Slam of Darts last week.

Hankey was beaten inside 17 minutes by Michael van Gerwen, with his performance causing widespread comment. He threw poorly, was constantly rubbing his eye and struggled to keep score.

The two-time world champion's manager said after the game that Hankey had a chest infection, but it has now been revealed that he suffered a transient ischaemic attack (TIA).

"Ted will (be) having 6 to 8 weeks' rest, no darts at all, start again next year if given the all clear by the doc," Hankey's manager Dave Stevenson said on Twitter.

"Here is what was wrong with @TedHankeyDarts last week at the GSOD. Ted had a transient ischaemic attack (mini-stroke). The symptoms are the face may fall on one side, causing mouth or eye to droop, may not be able to raise arms due to weakness, may have slurred speech, sudden loss of vision, dizziness, balance and co-ordination problems.

"These are some of the things Ted was going through and yet still managed to compleat (sic) the game. Ted would like to say a huge thank you for the kind comments he has received."

Stevenson also confirmed that Hankey has also been diagnosed with diabetes along with high blood pressure.

"He'll have to change his lifestyle," Stevenson said. "It all came out during the tests and it's now just a matter of looking after him."

Hankey will miss the World Darts Championship, with the qualifiers set to begin next Monday.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close