- Tour of Britain, Stage Two
Ciolek takes stage win to lead Tour of Britain
Gerard Ciolek tamed the wet conditions at the Tour of Britain to take the victory in stage two, with the German now leading the overall classification after a tough ride in the Lake District.
Ciolek managed to chase down Thomas Lofkvist, who had put in an attack in the final 10 kilometres, and the challenge of Mark Cavendish faded when he decided to attack towards the end.
On the final climb in Kendal, Lofkvist was unable to push to the finishing line as he hunted Ciolek and Bennett, and in the end it was Ciolek who edged out Bennett to take the win. Simon Yates was the highest-placed Briton as he claimed fourth, and now moves into second spot in the overall classification.
Sir Bradley Wiggins finished 17 seconds off the pace down in 18th after he was tangled in a crash earlier during the day. Britain's maiden Tour de France champion in 2012 is 12th in the general classification and 30 seconds off Ciolek.
Stage two result1. Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN-Qhubeka
2. Sam Bennett (Irl) AN Post Chain Reaction
3. Thomas Lofkvist (Swe) IAM Cycling +6 secs
4. Simon Yates (GBr) Great Britain
5. Michal Golas (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
6. Jack Bauer (NZl) Garmin-Sharp +9 secs
7. Martin Elmiger (Swi) IAM Cycling
8. Marco Coledan (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox
9. Sergio Pardilla (Spa) MTN-Qhubeka
10. Julien Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at same time
General Classification after Stage Two1. Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN-Qhubeka
2. Simon Yates (GBr) Great Britain +20 secs
3. Michal Golas (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep +20 secs
4. Marco Coledan (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox +23 secs
5. Sergio Pardilla (Spa) MTN-Qhubeka +23 secs
6. Juilen Vermote (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep +23 secs
7. Martin Elmiger (Swi) IAM Cycling +23 secs
8. Sacha Modolo (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox +23 secs
9. Scott Thwaites (GBr) NetApp-Endura +26 secs
10. Francesco Bongiorno (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox +26 secs
Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.