Cricket

/ News

Powered by ESPNCricinfo
  • England news

Strauss and Hussain out of running for England managing director

George Dobell
October 9, 2013 « Mackay refusing to quit Cardiff after owner row | Chartbeat test »
Nasser Hussain is one of four men out of the running © Getty Images
Enlarge

Andrew Strauss, Angus Fraser and Nasser Hussain have all confirmed they are not in the running to replace Hugh Morris as managing director of England cricket.

Speculation had linked all three former England players with the role that becomes vacant in January but Hussain has now made it clear that he has never applied or been approached for the job and Strauss has confirmed that, after a period of consideration, he has decided the time is not right for him to move into administration.

"I'm flattered that some people have put my name forward but no thanks," Hussain told ESPNcricinfo. "I have not been approached for the job, I have not applied for the job, I have just signed new contracts with Sky and the Mail and am very happy doing what I am doing."

Fraser took a similar stance. Having made a fine impression as director of cricket at Middlesex, he admits he met David Collier and Giles Clarkes, the chief executive and chairman of the ECB, and the job was of fleeting interest. But ultimately he has committed himself to Middlesex.

"I have not applied for Hugh's position and will not be doing so," Fraser told ESPNcricinfo. "Because of the news coverage of me being a possible replacement and having thought about applying I met David Collier and Giles Clarke separately to listen to what they had to say and inform them of where I am at face to face rather than just leaving an empty unexplained void.

"I wish to stay at Middlesex because I have not come close to completing what I want to achieve with the club and because I still enjoy the day to day contact I have working with and trying to develop players."

Strauss admitted the job had been of interest but, having thought about it, decided taking on such a role barely 18-months after retiring as a player might be a problem. While he suggested he would like such a position in the future, he said he was enjoying his media work at present and would be reluctant to give that up.

"I think it is a great job, an important job, one that needs to be done properly," he told the Telegraph. "But is it the right time for me? I'm still close to the players. And there are a lot of other things I would like to pursue.

"I don't just want to be an observer forever. But I enjoy the balance I have at the moment. I loved being in the commentary box. I didn't miss the pressure that Alastair Cook was under. That was very familiar to me."

Mike Atherton, another former England captain who has enjoyed a smooth transition into the media, also confirmed he had not been contacted by the ECB about the position.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close