Anderson bombards churchyard as Somerset claim last-eight spot

Jamie Overton celebrates the wicket of Colin Ingram Getty Images

Somerset 210 for 8 (Anderson 72, Hildreth 47) beat Glamorgan 181 for 9 (Waller 4-25) by29 runs

A devastating innings by Corey Anderson and four wickets for Max Waller saw Somerset to their seventh consecutive Vitality Blast victory and a place in the quarter finals after they beat Glamorgan by 29 runs.

After the start was delayed until 3.15pm by earlier rain, Somerset looked like falling well short of a competitive total after reaching 47 for 2 after six overs and 75 for 3 at the halfway stage. However when Abell was out for five Anderson came to the wicket to join James Hildreth the tempo stepped up.

Hildreth brought up the 100 with a six over deep backward square off Andrew Salter and along with Anderson added 50 for the fifth wicket partnership. Next ball however he looked to scoop Timm van der Gugten over the 'keepers head and was caught by Chris Cooke for 47.

Anderson was then joined by Lewis Gregory and the pair traded blows taking 19 off the 16th over that was bowled by Graham Wagg.

The New Zealander was enjoying himself and one of his sixes off Wagg was launched high into the air and cleared the scoreboard into St James' churchyard.

Anderson went to his 50 with a six off Hogan, but next ball Gregory who had raced onto 22 off nine balls was caught at long on by former Somerset player Craig Meschede, after adding 57 for the sixth wicket.

Anderson was in devastating form and hit the nineteenth over bowled by Hogan that went for 25, for three sixes, one of which saw up the 200. The left hander had moved onto 72 when he was caught by 'keeper Cooke his runs off 30 balls with four 4s and six 6s.

Wagg struck again when he had Roelof van der Merwe caught by Ingram for two as Somerset closed on 210 for eight.

Jerome Taylor got Somerset off to a flying start when he had Aneurin Donald caught at mid wicket by Jamie Overton first ball of the second over.

Glamorgan's captain Colin Ingram, another former Somerset player quickly moved to 19 when he looked to work Jamie Overton to backward square and was caught by Craig Overton fielding as substitute.

Kiran Carlson added 39 with opener Meschede but after moving onto 16 was caught at mid wicket off Waller.

Meschede hit Van der Merwe for two sixes but looked to repeat the same shot next over and holed out to Jamie Overton at long on off Waller for 35.

Sharp fielding by Gregory ran out Wagg at the non strikers end as he failed to regain his ground making the score on 94 for six, which brought Salter in to join Cooke. The seventh wicket pair added 40 together before Salter was caught at wide mid wicket by substitute fielder Craig Overton off Waller for 21.

Three balls later Waller struck again when he had Cooke caught by the sub fielder for 25, making the visitors 142 for eight as the leg spinner ended with four for 25.

Glamorgan ended their innings on 181 for nine, Van der Gugten unbeaten on 21 and Hogan not out 17.

Glamorgan 2nd innings Partnerships

1st6CAJ MeschedeAHT Donald
2nd19CA IngramCAJ Meschede
3rd39CAJ MeschedeKS Carlson
4th19DL LloydCAJ Meschede
5th7DL LloydCB Cooke
6th4GG WaggCB Cooke
7th40CB CookeAG Salter
8th8CB CookeRAJ Smith
9th4T van der GugtenRAJ Smith
10th35MG HoganT van der Gugten