Amir Khan says he may backtrack on a May 30 fight with Chris Algieri and that his camp are considering other options.
Khan announced on his wife's YouTube channel last week that Algieri would be his next opponent, but made clear a deal had not yet been confirmed. The Bolton fighter said he thought the deal had been done but conceded contracts have not been signed.
"I made the video on YouTube because we thought the fight with Chris Algieri was a done deal," Khan told the Telegraph. "But there are some more options on the table.
"We could make an announcement in another couple of days. My opponent for May 30 has not been confirmed."
Rumours circulated that television company Showtime had rejected a fight between Khan and Algieri and, after denying that, Khan claimed rival and IBF world champion Kell Brook was spreading the suggestion as their war of words escalated.
"Kell and Hearn are saying Showtime don't want my next fight which is b------. We have not said anything to the TV networks," Khan told the Sun. "My next opponent is not confirmed so how can anyone say no. Every TV company I fight on wants me because I'm an exciting fighter."
Brook has repeatedly called for a fight with Khan to be made and his promoter Eddie Hearn is keen to host it at Wembley Stadium in June. However, Khan does not see Brook as a worthy opponent despite his successful defence of the IBF title at the first asking against Jo Jo Dan. "Maybe that is why Brook is not making the big money - because he is fighting bums," Khan said.
Brook, meanwhile, has piled the pressure on Khan after arranging another IBF welterweight title defence on the same night, with Frankie Gavin a possible opponent, as his bitter rival's fight in May.