Boxing

/ News

  • Heavyweight

Fury return confirmed for Chisora undercard

ESPN staff
January 8, 2014 « Gymnast Smith targeting Commonwealth Games | Chartbeat test »
Buncey's Boxing Podcast


Tyson Fury has signed a deal to fight on the undercard of Dereck Chisora's European title bout with Andriy Rudenko at London's Copperbox Arena on February 15.

Speaking to Buncey's Boxing Podcast on Monday, Fury revealed he was back in training and targeting a February return to the ring.

Super-fights will light up 2014

  • There is likely to be more title shots for British boxers this year than ever before - both domestically and at world level writes Steve Bunce, who also reflects on the first time he laid eyes upon a young Ricky Hatton.
  • Click here to read more of Steve Bunce's column

Boxnation announced in a press conference on Wednesday that Fury had agreed a deal to fight at the Copperbox, while promoter Frank Warren also maintained he was looking to hold a heavyweight eliminator rematch between Chisora and Fury in June - to be held at a football stadium. Fury's opponent is still yet to be named.

Fury, who is unbeaten in 21 fights as a professional, defeated Chisora when the pair first met in July 2011.

"It will be a great fight between two of the best heavyweights in the world and it would be a fantastic world title eliminator," Warren told Boxnation's official website about Fury facing Chisora again. "It is a huge football stadium fight and up there with a Carl Froch versus George Groves rematch.

"Dereck is a totally different fighter now. Last year wasn't great for Tyson through no fault of his own, but he will now be busy and get the chance to show he is for real."

Meanwhile, Warren also confirmed Nathan Cleverly's cruiserweight debut has been postponed for a second time after the former WBO light-heavyweight champion suffered a minor injury.

Cleverly was due to fight Illunga Makubu in Monte Carlo on February 1. The Welshman had previously withdrawn from his fight with Daniel Amman at the Copperbox, which was scheduled for November last year, after he suffered an injury.

"He has sustained a minor injury and will not be fighting in Monte Carlo on February 1 and we are about to reschedule a fight for him," Warren said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close