Boxing

/ News

  • Welterweight

Khan camp confirm fighter 'unharmed' after car crash

ESPN staff
November 7, 2013 « Federer tells drug testers: 'Don't treat us like criminals' | Chartbeat test »
Amir Khan has won his last two fights since a double loss to Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia © Getty Images
Enlarge

Amir Khan was left "shook up" but unharmed following a car crash in San Francisco, his camp has confirmed.

Khan first revealed the incident had taken place in California on Tuesday via the social networking site Twitter. The former world champion indicated he had suffered pain to his back and neck, and had to cancel a training session as a result.

Khan Promotions also confirmed a man had been arrested at the scene, before the Bolton fighter's camp told BBC Sport that "he was a little shook up, but he's unharmed."

The 26-year-old is in the United States in order to train with Virgil Hunter - who recently criticised Carl Froch in the build-up to his fight with George Groves - but later stated Hunter had told him to rest up.

Khan has been in negotiations to fight Devon Alexander, although the Brit has now become a frontrunner to face unbeaten welterweight king Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2014.

"[Promoters] Golden Boy are looking at a few different opponents for Amir," Khan's camp told BBC Sport. "Hopefully soon we should have something in place and can then make an announcement."

On Thursday, Khan confirmed he would return to the United Kingdom to be at ringside for brother Haroon's fight with Stefan Slavchev in Blackpool on November 15.

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close