Joshua remains focused despite first round winESPN staff October 6, 2013 « Januzaj wanted by England | Americans hold healthy lead despite rain delay »
Anthony Joshua has vowed his first round knockout win over Emanuele Leo on Saturday is just the start of things to come.
Making his professional debut at London's O2 Arena, Joshua landed a series of devastating punches on the previously unbeaten Leo, leaving the Italian stranded on the ropes before flooring him with a savage right-hand.
The referee immediately put a stop to the fight, just two minutes and 47 seconds into the bout, quashing any worries over Eddie Hearn's decision to put Joshua in the ring with an undefeated fighter on his debut.
"It was just as important as winning the Olympics as everyone is here to support and everyone is proud that we got the victory and it's just onto the next one now," Joshua told Sky Sports. "There is only one pro debut and we ended it in spectacular fashion.
"You could see he was game, he could take a shot. He's got a winner's mentality, 8 and 0, that's what he's in the game to do is win and to do what I done. It's just the start though, I won't get carried away. It's just the beginning."
Joshua, who won gold at super-heavyweight level at the London 2012 Olympics, will next be in action on October 26 in Sheffield.
WBA super-bantamweight champion Scott Quigg believes he did enough to win his title defence against Yoandris Salinas, despite retaining his belt by majority draw.
Salinas was quick out of the blocks, but Quigg responded well to pressure and ended the fight strongly.
"I feel I won the fight, by a round or two rounds," Quigg told Sky Sports."I think we got the tactics spot on. I believe I won the fight."
On the undercard, Lee Selby successfully defended his British and Commonwealth featherweight belts as he proved too strong for challenger Ryan Walsh, despite suffering cuts to both of his eyes.
Kevin Mitchell stopped Marco Lopez in the sixth round as the Brit continued he revival since losing to WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns in 2012, while Luke Campbell made it two from two with a first round stoppage of Neil Hepper. Campbell showed impressive ring prowess to dispose his opponent in one minute and 59 seconds of the fight.
Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.