Boxing

/ News

  • Heavyweight

Hughie wants Thompson for Tyson-Haye undercard

ESPN staff
July 24, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Hughie Fury has extended his unbeaten record to eight wins © PA Photos
Enlarge

Hughie Fury has called out Tony Thompson for a heavyweight clash on the undercard of the Tyson Fury-David Haye showdown in September.

The 18-year-old, who trains alongside cousin Tyson under his father Peter Fury, claimed the eighth consecutive win of his fledgling pro career on Sunday with a points victory over four rounds against Ugandan journeyman Moses Matovu.

And now he wants American veteran Thompson, who defeated British and Commonwealth David Price for a second time in Liverpool earlier this month.

Speaking with Steve Bunce, Fury revealed he is expecting two more fights in August ahead of his cousin's headline night in Manchester on September 28, where he will appear on the undercard.

"That's the fight we're trying to get Tony Thompson for," Fury told ESPN. "We've offered him good money, a good pay day.

"If he takes the fight, that's it. If he jumps in the ring, I'm there. I'll fight. I'll fight anyone. But when it comes to September, I'm going to step up and whoever my Dad puts in the ring with me, I'll fight."

Fury is determined to fast-track his learning curve by boxing as much as possible early in his career, targeting 16 fights in his first year as a professional.

"I think we should've had more fights - we can't get no fights this month, but next month we're trying to get another two in," Fury said. "After that, we're trying to get in as many as we can."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close