• Boxing news

Frampton ruled out of fight

July 17, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Carl Frampton said it is an old ear injury © PA Photos
Enlarge

The British Boxing Board of Control has ruled rising junior featherweight contender Carl Frampton out of his fight on Saturday because of a perforated ear drum.

Frampton, 26, of Northern Ireland, was due to face former junior bantamweight world title challenger Everth Briceno of Nicaragua at Wembley Arena in London on the undercard of the heavyweight fight between former world title challenger Dereck Chisora and Malik Scott.

"Bitterly disappointed to announce that Carl Frampton is out of his fight Saturday," manager Barry McGuigan tweeted on Tuesday afternoon. "The BBB of C have ruled he is unfit to fight."

Frampton, the European champion at 122 pounds - although that title was not going to be on the line Saturday - said that he had the old ear injury flair up in a recent sparring session.

"I'm upset to have to announce that I have been ruled out of my fight on Saturday by the [British board]," Frampton tweeted.

"A specialist initially informed me I was fit to box. [On Tuesday] the BBB of C ruled me out. I'm so sorry, especially to the people who were coming to support me. It's been an amazing camp and I'm gutted that I wont be able to showcase my improvements in Wembley."

Frampton was originally scheduled to face Fabian Orozco. However, Orozco was knocked out in the second round of a June 28 bout and was replaced by Briceno last week.

Frampton is coming off two of his most impressive performances, a sixth-round knockout of former junior featherweight world titleholder Steve Molitor in September and a ninth-round knockout of Kiko Martinez to win the European title in February.

This article first appeared on ESPN.com

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close