• Floyd Mayweather v Saul Alvarez

Mayweather hoping to extend record beyond 50-0

ESPN staff
July 2, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »

Floyd Mayweather Jr has revealed that he might not retire from boxing upon completion of the 30-month television deal he signed earlier this year.

The American is currently building up for a blockbuster September fight with Saul Alvarez, an eagerly-anticipated bout between two of the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world.

Mayweather is scheduled to participate in four further fights as part of his agreement with US channel Showtime, but the 36-year-old does not necessarily believe that will be the end of his professional career.

"After my five more fights, guess what? I think after (getting to) 49-0 we may stay in this sport a little longer. This September 14, it's just another walk in the park," Mayweather said to a crowd of about 5,000 on Monday night at the Alamo in San Antonio during the ninth stop of the nine-day, two-country, 10-city media tour that he is on with Alvarez.

When Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs), who also holds a welterweight world title, signed the deal (worth an estimated $200 million-plus) and began promoting the first fight on the contract - an easy unanimous decision victory against Robert Guerrero on May 4 - he said he would walk away from boxing when the contract was up.

"In 30 months my career is over," Mayweather, 36, said at the time. "I want to rack up my six victories and hopefully do commentating and keep the sport of boxing alive. That's what I'm focused on."

He later added, "Well, you know, I only have 30 months left, so I want to just help clean the sport up. After this fight I've got five more fights. That's all I got to do, finish putting them stamps on my legacy."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close