Boxing

/ News

  • Middleweight

Ogogo wants Mayweather Jr undercard spot

ESPN staff
June 28, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Anthony Ogogo defeated Kieron Gray on his professional debut © PA Photos
Enlarge

Anthony Ogogo is hoping that he will be able to showcase his talents on the undercard of welterweight king Floyd Mayweather Jr's September 14 blockbuster bout with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

Ogogo, the Olympic bronze medallist, has won both of his professional fights to date - first against Kieron Gray in Sheffield before he successfully saw off Edgar Perez by unanimous decision on his American debut in May.

Now the 24-year-old, whose next outing is on the undercard of Luke Campbell's professional debut in Hull on July 13, wants to feature as support to 'Money' when the unbeaten five-division champion takes on the also undefeated Alvarez at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Middleweight Ogogo turned professional after the London 2012 Olympics, having signed with Golden Boy Promotions, who are also staging the Mayweather Jr bout.

The clash, which is sold out, has already broken a number of records - and Ogogo is keen to be involved in one of the most lucrative nights in the sport's history.

"Let's not write anything off yet," Ogogo told BBC Radio Suffolk. "My fingers are very much crossed for getting on that card. It's a massive card.

"My friend was in New York for the press conference earlier this week and he said Times Square came to a standstill.

"They will probably have eight or nine fights on the card and a little lad from Suffolk getting on such a massive card would be unbelievable."

First for Ogogo, though, is the spot on Campbell's undercard - and the Lowestoft fighter is keen to restore the Olympic spirit when he makes his return to the ring.

"We're really good mates [talking about Campbell], we talk daily," said Ogogo. "We're a year on from the Olympics and it would be nice to reignite the Olympic fever in the boxing community."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close