Boxing

/ News

  • Welterweight

Alexander looking well beyond Brook

ESPN staff
February 1, 2013 « Etim: Renee Forte gets punished at Wembley Arena | Chartbeat test »

Devon Alexander says he sees his IBF welterweight bout with Kell Brook as a springboard for the rest of the year rather than the career-hinging fight the Briton is billing it as.

Brook (29-0) and Alexander (24-1) will clash at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit in February and the American is talking about sending a message to the rest of the division.

The 26-year-old Brook, meanwhile, has said that this fight is the apex of his career so far and he is not looking at life beyond February 23.

Both fighters have not fought since September 20 when Brook knocked out Hector Saldivia in Yorkshire and Alexander overcame Randall Bailey in Brooklyn by unanimous decision.

And despite Brook saying he is in 'the best physical shape of his life', Alexander insists he will be in no mood to give away the title he earned against Bailey.

"2013 is going to be a big year for my career and I'm going to get it started right in an exciting fashion against Kell Brook," Alexander is quoted as saying on worldboxingnews.net. "I worked extremely hard to win my title and I'm not giving it away to anyone. This will be a statement-making fight for me."

Brook underlined his threat to Alexander by stressing how confident he was ahead of his title tilt.

"This is the biggest night of my life," Brook said. "When I turned up at the Wincobank Gym in Sheffield as a nine-year-old, this was what I dreamed about - boxing for a world title. And on February 23, I'll turn that dream into a reality.

"I'm in the shape of my life and the best ever Kell Brook will be in the ring in Detroit and there's no way that I am coming home without that world title.

"This is my destiny, it's just meant to be, and there's nothing Devon Alexander can do to stop me."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close