Boxing

/ News

  • Super-middleweight

Bute could fight on Froch-Kessler undercard

ESPN staff
January 25, 2013 « Etim: Renee Forte gets punished at Wembley Arena | Chartbeat test »

Lucian Bute's displacement by Carl Froch at the top table of the super-middleweight division will hit home again if he is placed on the undercard of the Briton's rematch with Mikkel Kessler.

Froch's promoter Eddie Hearn has said the Romanian Bute could fight for the vacant WBC strap on the same card as his boxer's attempt to avenge a 2010 loss to Dane Kessler.

As Froch fought his way back from that defeat he encountered Bute in May last year and robbed the 32-year-old of his IBF belt and his undefeated tag.

But the manner of Froch's fifth-round stoppage was more damaging than the black mark on Bute's slate because he was comprehensively out-boxed.

Bute won his next fight against Denis Grachev but the promotion noise surrounding his name has died away. And he could get to witness first-hand the draw that Froch's name now brings to a boxing ring if he fights before the Froch-Kessler bout.

"We have been in constant communication with Interbox since the first Froch v Bute fight, which was a big commercial success," Hearn said.

"Lucian looks set to fight for the WBC title next and we would all like to make that happen on the same night as Froch v Kessler II, in Canada, Romania or even in the UK on the same card."

Bute has said he is keen on a rematch with Froch and, should both men win their next fights, they could be back in the ring together later in 2013.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close