• Lightweight

Burns' title defence delayed, again

ESPN staff
January 8, 2013 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »
Ricky Burns has not fought since he stopped Kevin Mitchell in September © PA Photos
Enlarge

Ricky Burns' wait to get back in the ring is set to continue for another month at least as his proposed WBO world title defence on January 26 has been put back.

No challenger had been named for the fight in Glasgow and regardless of who the opponent is, the city is still expected to host Burns' third defence of his lightweight crown.

The 29-year-old Scot had a frustrating end to 2012 as the original challenger to his belt, Liam Walsh, was injured in a car crash and replacement Jose Ocampo then pulled out days before the fight.

But manager Alex Morrison said Burns, whose record stands at 35-2, needed more time to rest before his overdue return.

"He's just having a wee rest before his next fight, which should be at the end of February or beginning of March," Morrison told BBC Scotland.

"We hope it will be in Glasgow so that Ricky's fans can see him in action.

"We want to make sure that we get the right opponent for Ricky. He was very disappointed after his planned title defence last month was cancelled."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close