Boxing

/ News

  • Welterweight

Alexander dismisses Brook threat

ESPN staff
December 28, 2012 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »
Devon Alexander has rubbished Kell Brook's technique © Getty Images
Enlarge

Devon Alexander has told Kell Brook that his skills are 'way better' than the Englishman's ahead of their welterweight world title fight.

Brook is unbeaten with a 29-0 record but the American believes he has only fought against one worthy opponent; Carson Jones, whom he beat in Sheffield in July.

The 26-year-old's preparations for the bout with Alexander were hampered when he rolled his ankle in training earlier this month.

That meant a postponement from January 19 to February 23 and Alexander, 25, recognised that Brook will pose him a challenge when they finally meet but stressed that it would not be a genuine one.

"I've watched the tapes of his fights," Alexander said. "My coach studied the tapes too and we don't see anything special. He's a tough fighter, a tough kid, but we'll be ready.

"He's good, he's hungry, he's young, just like me. But he doesn't have the tools I have to beat me. My skills are way better.

"There are no real names on his record, in his career he hasn't fought anybody like me at all. The one test that he did have was Carson Jones and he was fighting for his life at the end of that fight."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close