Boxing

/ News

  • Super-middleweight

Blow for Froch as Ward goes under the knife

ESPN staff
December 27, 2012 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »

Carl Froch's hopes of fighting Andre Ward in 2013 are in doubt after the WBA and WBC super-middleweight champion was told he requires surgery.

Ward suffered an injury to his right shoulder during a sparring session with Tony Hirsch last month and was forced to postpone his January fight against Kelly Pavlik.

However, the injury is more serious than originally thought and Ward now requires surgery, forcing him to cancel the bout altogether.

Pavlik's manager Cameron Dunkin confirmed that his fighter is now searching for a new opponent after promoter Bob Arum informed him on Wednesday that Ward would be sidelined for an extended period.

"Bob called me up and told me the fight was out and said, 'What are we gonna do with Pavlik?' He said [promoter Dan] Goossen called him and told him that Ward needed shoulder surgery," Dunkin told ESPN.

"So I don't know what we're going to do, but we're going to move forward and get Kelly a fight and get him back in the ring. I sent him a text to let him know what was up because I couldn't get in touch with him."

IBF super-middleweight champion Froch looks to be heading for a rematch with Mikkel Kessler in May or June, but has made no secret of his desire to avenge his other professional defeat to Ward in the Super Six final in December 2011. Ward recently told Froch to make him an offer if he is serious about a rematch.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close