• Heavyweight

Wlad distances himself from Haye rematch

ESPN staff
October 30, 2012 « Rodgers: Critics won't force Suarez out | Chartbeat test »
Wladimir Klitschko beat David Haye on points last year © PA Photos
Enlarge

Wladimir Klitschko will be looking to extend his eight-year unbeaten record against Mariusz Wach on November 10, and you can see the fight live on ESPN. Click here to subscribe

Wladimir Klitschko has reacted angrily to reports that David Haye could be installed as the mandatory challenger for his WBO heavyweight title.

The organisation recently discussed whether Haye, Denis Boytsov or Seth Mitchell should be handed the opportunity to face Klitschko, with a final decision expected soon.

Klitschko outpointed Haye comprehensively last year, taking the Brit's WBA crown, in a bout that never generated much drama. Haye went on to blame his disappointing performance on a broken toe sustained in the build-up.

He has recently claimed that a deal has been agreed for him to face Vitali Klitschko next year - although the Ukrainian's ring future is far from certain, due to his political interests: his party came third in the Ukrainian elections.

"You know, David Haye is still being taken far too seriously," Wladimir said, according to boxingscene.com. "If he wouldn't have lost against me last year so [comprehensively], the fight might still be kind of interesting.

"But I beat him and left him confused. Neither I nor Vitali need David Haye. But he needs us to stay relevant in the public and he needs us to earn any decent money in the ring."

Haye has said his boxing career is over unless he can entice one of the Klitschkos into a fight.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close