• Light-heavyweight

Cleverly signs up for LA fight

ESPN staff
October 6, 2012 « Hungry Owen hits back at critics | Chartbeat test »
Nathan Cleverly will take his punching power Stateside © Getty Images
Enlarge

Nathan Cleverly will get his shot at breaking America, with confirmation he will fight in Los Angeles on November 10.

It had been expected that Cleverly would defend his WBO light-heavyweight title in Cardiff later in October, but the prospect of a shot at America has prompted his camp to change direction.

Cleverly has been slotted into a card run by Golden Boy Promotions and is just awaiting confirmation of his opponent.

"At only 25 it's a dream come true to defend my world title in America on such a big show," Cleverly told the Sun. "It takes my career to a whole new level and is a golden opportunity to make a big statement that I'm the leading man in the light-heavyweight division."

It will Cleverly's second fight in America, having beaten Antonio Barker in Las Vegas on points in 2008, but he returns with a far higher profile.

"It will be exciting and challenging to get the recognition of the American fans and media and prove to them that I'm the real thing," he said. "It's a big test in my career, but I'm ready and won't be overawed.

"I think that this will give my performance a sharper edge because I'm not at home and the pressure to perform will be on me."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close