Boxing

/ News

  • Light-welterweight

Khan wants more 'credible' opponent than Guzman

ESPN staff
September 5, 2012 « Cole and Assaidi set to boost Liverpool | Chartbeat test »
Amir Khan wants a big fight for his return © Getty Images
Enlarge

Amir Khan has dismissed reports he will fight Joan Guzman in his next bout - saying he wants a more credible opponent for his return to the ring on December 15.

Khan, 25, is looking to rebuild his career after losing his light-welterweight titles to Danny Garcia in his last fight - with reports emerging earlier in the week that Guzman, an undefeated two-weight champion, was set to face him.

Khan has now dismissed those reports, stating he wants to find a higher calibre opponent for his return - which he confirmed will take place on December 15.

"I want someone who is a bit more credible than him," Khan told the Manchester Evening News. "I've come from world title fights and he [Guzman] might be a little below that.

"We're just getting the dates right. It will either be in England or America, December 15 is the date."

Khan also revealed that he is yet to decide on a new trainer to replace Freddie Roach, with a number of candidates being considered. He revealed he is also speaking with a number of former boxing greats about an informal mentoring role.

"I'll be going to New York to speak to a few coaches and maybe bring in a mentor who can help me in defence," he said. "I'm mainly looking at ex-fighters, Bernard Hopkins, Oscar [De La Hoya] and maybe Shane Mosley, they all want to help out and show their support."

Defence seems to be the key for Khan. In a thinly-veiled dig at Roach he added: "If we had the defence we should have had we would be the best fighter in the world.

"That's the downfall of me and Manny Pacquiao - we're both offensively the best fighters in the world, but defensively we're not the best."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close