• Welterweight

Pacquiao tells promoter: Get me Floyd

ESPN staff
June 28, 2012 « Reading get serious after Pogrebnyak transfer | Chartbeat test »
Manny Pacquiao is expected to fight next on November 10 © PA Photos
Enlarge

Manny Pacquiao has told promoter Bob Arum in no uncertain terms that he wants to thrash out a deal to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Pacquiao is likely to make his next appearance in November, probably against Timothy Bradley or Juan Manuel Marquez, with Mayweather off the table for that date because he is serving an 87-day jail term, which he began earlier this month.

But Arum has raised the possibility of two meetings between Pacquiao and Mayweather during 2013 after his charge told him to make the bout(s) happen.

"Obviously, the one fight that [Pacquiao] wants is [Floyd] Mayweather. That's the guy he wants to fight," Arum told the Manila Standard, having spoken to Pacquiao about his future plans.

Pacquiao and Mayweather held negotiations earlier this year, even going so far as to hold a direct phone conversation, but no deal was agreed after a dispute over the distribution of pay-per-view cash.

The WBO has recommended that Bradley, its welterweight champion, allows Pacquiao a rematch at some point after the controversial nature of the American's victory on June 9.

The organisation held a video review into the contest, and its panel of five veteran judges decided unanimously that Pacquiao should have been awarded the bout.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close