• Light-middleweight

Schaefer talks up Floyd v Cotto rematch

ESPN staff
May 13, 2012 « Trott tunes up for Test duty in Warks win | Chartbeat test »
Floyd Mayweather Jr beat Miguel Cotto earlier this month © PA Photos
Enlarge

Miguel Cotto has a compelling case for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr, according to Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which has recently helped with the promotion of Mayweather's fights.

Mayweather earned a unanimous points decision - and the WBA light-middleweight title - against Cotto in Las Vegas earlier this month, a contest that saw Mayweather, the defensive master, troubled far more than he usually is.

After that battle, Mayweather suggested he was considering retirement because there were not many potential opponents open to him - but Schaefer has proposed Cotto's name.

"Based on the number of emails that I've received, there is a lot of people who wouldn't mind seeing a rematch [with Cotto]," Schaefer told boxingscene.com "The fact is, Cotto not only put forward a tremendous performance, but he also gave Floyd maybe the toughest fight of his life.

"Like Floyd said, it was the toughest opponent that he ever fought. Making a few adjustments, who knows, maybe Miguel might be able to pull it off. I hear more and more support for a potential rematch between those two.

"Who wouldn't want to see that? You know going into that day, its going to be a terrific fight. And, there will be blood. That may be the name of the event: 'There Will be Blood'."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close