Boxing

/ News

  • David Haye v Vitali Klitschko

WBC won't sanction Haye v Vitali

ESPN staff
March 22, 2012 « Arsenal will slip up - Redknapp | Chartbeat test »
David Haye retired in late 2011, but has said he would return to face one of the Klitschko brothers © PA Photos
Enlarge

David Haye is not a good example for boxing and should not have a world-title fight sanctioned, according to WBC president Jose Sulaiman.

Sulaiman has quashed Haye's hopes of coming out of retirement to meet Vitali Klitschko for the WBC heavyweight crown at some point this year.

The Brit's reputation was damaged when he was involved in unsavoury scenes in Munich last month when he brawled with Dereck Chisora at a press conference.

Chisora has subsequently been stripped of his licence by the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC); Haye does not currently possess a licence, and it is thought the BBBC would not be willing to hand him one so soon after the Munich controversy.

"The WBC will not accept David Haye," Sulaiman said. "He is not rated by the WBC. And the British Boxing Board of Control can't issue anything against someone who's not affiliated to them any more. If he was licensed, he'd have his licence taken away from him.

"It would be setting a bad example for boxing if we accepted him. Haye is not a good example for boxing."

According to a report in the Telegraph, Haye is considering facing another opponent during June.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close