'Hurting' Chisora still in love with boxing
Dereck Chisora has reiterated his "bitter regret" over the way he behaved in Munich last month, having been stripped of his licence by the British Boxing Board of Control on Wednesday.
Chisora, who has been given 14 days to appeal the decision, can re-apply for a licence at any time - but Robert Smith, the Board's general secretary, has said that "what we're obviously talking about is a few years" before it may be approved.
The Brit intends to keep active in the gym, presumably in the hope he will be granted a licence to box abroad - as he did against Vitali Klitschko in Germany during February. Over one mad weekend, he slapped Vitali at the weigh-in, spat at the Ukrainian's brother Wladimir, and was involved in a bare-knuckle brawl with David Haye.
"I'm bitterly disappointed my licence to box was taken away by the Board. Right now I am an ex-professional unable to earn a living," Chisora told the Sun. "There is no time limit on how long the Board plan to keep me from fighting but at the same time, I understand I can re-apply for my licence at any time as well.
"My dream has always been to win the world heavyweight title and of course the punishment dished out is a big setback to me achieving those aims. But I will be back in the gym even though I do not know when the Board will grant me a new licence to box.
"I am already on record as saying I bitterly regret what happened in Germany. And if anyone wants to hear it again: I'm sorry. The Board's decision to withdraw my licence has really hurt me. But what is hasn't done is dampen my love for the sport.
"I don't for one minute think it will be hard to motivate myself in the gym even though my promoter Frank Warren cannot plan for any bouts in the immediate future."