Next LIVE rugby on TV
to be announced
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:30:05 +0000
  • Switch Edition
ESPN SCRUM / Australia / News
Follow@ESPNSCRUM
Australia
Code switch as Andrew Fifita contract scrapped?
ESPN Staff
March 31, 2014
Andrew Fifita - back on the market © Getty Images
Enlarge

Days after rugby league star Andrew Fifita said he regretted signing a Aus$3.5 million (£1.9 million) four-year contract with Canterbury, the club released a statement saying he would not be joining them next season.

Last week Fifita, 24, was reported as saying: "If I could go back now, I wish I chose rugby and then I wouldn't be getting all the shit I've been catching now." Now, according to Canterbury, the deal is off because of a failure to agree playing terms.

A statement from Fifita's managers said they were "disappointed that we could not finalise terms with the Bulldogs but we still have several options in the pipeline to explore". This will only increase speculation he plans a code switch.

''I grew up playing rugby [union] so it was one of the best things," he said. "It's always going to be there and I will eventually go to union. It's another dream and I just want to chase another dream.''

He has experience in rugby union. He represented NSW Country in junior ranks and featured in the Brumbies development squad.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Athletics

    Chambers out of Commonwealth Games

    British 100 metres champion Dwain Chambers will not compete at the Commonwealth Games having pulled out of the event to concentrate on the upcoming European Championships

  • Football

    Liverpool favourites to sign Origi

    Liverpool are firm favourites to sign forward Divock Origi, his father Mike has told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad

  • Football

    Manquillo on Liverpool's radar

    Liverpool are pursuing a deal to sign Atletico Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo on a season-long loan, sources have told ESPN

  • Formula 1

    Boullier: Magnussen '100% blameless' for Massa crash

    Eric Boullier insists Felipe Massa was wrong to point the finger of blame for his first-lap crash at Hockenheim at Kevin Magnussen and says the FIA report backs up his opinion

  • Cricket

    Anderson hearing on August 1

    The hearing into the Level 3 charge against England fast bowler James Anderson will be held on August 1 via videoconference, the ICC has confirmed

Sponsored Links
Make $170 in 60 seconds!
Google Vs Facebook, 60 sec. knock out! Choose a champion, Become a Winner!
Make $25 in 1 Minute!
Start trading with the biggest broker! Register now to receive $25 for FREE!