Athletics

/ News

  • Commonwealth Games

Farah out of Glasgow after illness

ESPN staff
July 24, 2014 « City back Vieira and consider UEFA complaint | Day 6: Maria Ho eliminated, 68 left »
Mo Farah says his illness two weeks ago was a "big setback" © Getty Images
Enlarge

Mo Farah has withdrawn from the Commonwealth Games saying his body is "not ready to race" after his recent illness.

The double Olympic champion's participation in Glasgow was put into doubt earlier this month after he pulled out of the Diamond League meet in the same city with abdominal pains.

Farah had come through a rigorous fitness test last week saying he was ready to compete but has now backtracked on his decision.

"I have taken the tough decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games," said Farah.

"The sickness I had two weeks ago was a big setback for me. Training is getting better but I need another few weeks to get back to the level I was at in 2012 and 2013.

"I really wanted to add the Commonwealth titles to my Olympic and World Championships, but the event is coming a few weeks too soon for me as my body is telling me it's not ready to race yet."

Farah, 31, won 5,000m and 10,000m goal at London 2012 and was set to run both distances in Glasgow.

He has now decided to remain at his French training base in Font Romeu in a bid to regain full fitness for August's European Championships in Zurich.

Farah joins a long-list of high-profile absentees with heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson forced to pull out after suffering a foot injury in training earlier this week and Dwain Chambers opting to focus on the European Championships.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close