Athletics

/ News

  • Athletics

Farah told to lay off the marathons

ESPN staff
April 25, 2014 « Rutherford's jump was illegal, says rival Tomlinson | Test Wayin World Cup »
Mo Farah finished eighth at the London Marathon earlier this month © Getty Images
Enlarge

Mo Farah's coach Alberto Salazar has told the runner not to compete in any more marathons until after the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Farah, who won gold in both the 5,000 and 10,000 metres at the London Games two years ago, finished eighth in his London Marathon debut earlier this month - four minutes behind Wilson Kipsang.

The 31-year-old told reporters straight after the race that he intended to run more marathons, but Salazar has other ideas for his athlete.

"Let's stick with what he's best at in the world through Rio," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"This was a good year to experiment, because there are no World Championships. Now Mo has a full year to get back in track shape for the World Championships and another year to go until Rio."

Salazar had previously suggested that Farah will target a 10,000m-marathon double in Brazil.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close