John O'Neill quits as Rugby World Cup director
February 26, 2014
John O'Neill has quit his role as a director of the Rugby World Cup citing personal reasons, effective immediately. The former Australian Rugby Union chief executive and International Rugby Board council member had held the role since March 2012.
"It is with great sadness that the Rugby World Cup Limited board has received and reluctantly accepted John's resignation," chairman Bernard Lapasset said in a statement.
"The board would like to thank John for his exceptional contribution and his tireless dedication to strengthening the Rugby World Cup brand, profile and profitability for the benefit of the global game.
"There is no doubt that his vision, energy, expertise and leadership has been instrumental in delivering the strong foundations for what promises to be hugely successful Rugby World Cups in England and Japan, while driving forward a review of future delivery of our flagship event."
O'Neill wished the organisation every success for the 2015 showpiece in England and the 2019 World Cup in Japan.
The appointment of a new director will be discussed at the IRB executive committee's next meeting in March.
Communication error please reload the page.
Gary Ballance is the player to benefit from Alastair Cook's sacking as one-day captain after he was named in England's World Cup squad. Ben Stokes and Harry Gurney have also been omitted from the team that was recently in Sri Lanka
Jean-Eric Vergne will join Ferrari as a test driver next year, handing him an F1 lifeline after he was cut adrift by Red Bull earlier this year
Striker Roberto Soldado has thanked Tottenham fans for their support and says he is "ashamed" of his performances for the club so far
Arsene Wenger believes Alexis Sanchez is as good as former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and "made for the English game"
Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling has won the prestigious European Golden Boy award for 2014